Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day 18 – Winchester Bay


A short distance up the coast lay Winchester Bay, unfortunately the road was slow and windy so it would take us some time. We were still in the Redwoods and still a very cold 50 – 60F with the sea mist held back by the wall of trees. The world famous and unique Redwood you could drive your car through re-appeared; it was one of those magical, mobile trees from Hobbit land.
We arrived at the site late and had the last spot, again. The sun shone on us as if to welcome us to Oregon. To say that it was beautiful would be a gross understatement. We were in a 50 mile stretch of dunes and they stretched to the west of us. To the North, East and West lay the river estuary. We were in ATV Nirvana. We walked the dog to the nearest beach and let her have a run; chasing birds was her love. Then back to the RV and a short walk past the floating fish and chip restaurant to the fish market. Two fillets of tuna set us back $10 and then seasoned and wrapped in foil on a wood fire was all that we needed. Food never tasted so good, especially when you imagine yourself as some frontiersman.
Internet, as usual, was problematic. How could I keep the thousands who regularly read my blog happy? Actually, to date, there have been no comments on our journey. Oh well, I always stated that I was writing for myself. It seems that the bandwidth is not sufficient for those who want to use it. Up and downloading works really well at 3am though when sensible people are tucked in bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alan, while I've not commented, I've been reading! I'm horribly envious of your journey...I'm stuck here in the DC area never having seen the Great Redwoods.

Cheers!
Ellen (Anna's Mom)